Happy Father’s Day to all the great dads out there! We wish everyone a happy and healthy Father’s Day. I know it’s grilling season and here is a twist on the classic burger. Cook one for dad and let him know how much you appreciate him.
Miso Glazed Chicken Burgers with Cabbage-Apple Slaw (from CountryLiving.com)
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 cup bread crumbs – (can be gluten free)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup miso paste (available at The Fruitful Yield)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar plus 2 tbsp
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (purple and/or white)
- 2 crisp, sweet apples, quartered and thinly sliced
- 8 buns (can be gluten free)
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, breadcrumbs, 2/3 cup onion, celery, egg whites and 2 tbsp sesame oil. Season with 2 tsp each salt and pepper. Shape into 8 equal (about 5 1/2 ounces each) patties. Place patties between squares of waxed paper and refrigerate until chilled, at least one hour.
- In a small bowl, combine miso paste, 2 tbsp brown sugar, and 2 tbsp cider vinegar. Equally divide miso glaze into 2 bowls (1 for grilling and 1 for drizzling on slaw). Set both aside.
- In a large bowl, toss to combine cabbage, apples, and remaining onion, sesame oil, brown sugar and cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Heat grill to medium. Grill buns, spit side down, until warmed, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Brush grill with oil and grill burgers, about 6 minutes per side. Brush burgers with miso glaze from the first bowl, flip,and grill for 1 1/2 minutes more. Repeat for other side. Place burgers on buns; then layer with slaw, a drizzle of miso glaze from second bowl-enjoy!
We hope you enjoy the weekend and celebrate your dad!