I have many people approach me about inflammation, the causes of it and the effects of it. Chronic inflammation can be devastating to your overall health and wellness. I would like to spend some time this month to help you better understand inflammation and what you can do about it on your own.
Inflammation is a natural process which occurs in the body to aid in initial short term healing from an injury. However when inflammation becomes chronic and travels throughout your body it can be a bad thing. It can eventually rob your health from you if it is not properly taken care of. Many health care practitioners would say that inflammation is the #1 cause of disease.
Conditions such as hormone imbalances, back and neck pain, excessive weight, diabetes, allergies, migraines, allergies, thyroid issues, poor energy levels, spinal subluxations and more can all originate from chronic inflammation. Many of the leading causes of mortality can be traced back to long term inflammation.
Some of the causes of inflammation are; Poor quality food intake, Lack of exercise, Limited hydration, Excessive body fat, Smoking, Alcohol, High emotional stress, Poor sleep and Lack of vegetables and fruit in the diet.
Now that we have handled what inflammation is, let’s talk in detail about some more of the things that are present in our daily lives that can cause inflammation. Many of these will cause a small amount of inflammation every time you are exposed which adds up to a large amount of inflammation over many years. The process is like a smoldering fire that never goes out.
Here are the top food and habits that create chronic inflammation.
- Eating out too much / Poor digestion
- Processed white flour products
- Fried foods
- Grain fed animal meat (purchase grass fed or pastured products)
- Nitrates (you can purchase nitrate free sausage, bacon and ham)
- Soda/Pop (the carbonation, sugar and artificial sweeteners all contribute)
- Additive/food colors/preservatives (if you can’t pronounce it, don’t eat it)
- Lack of sleep (7 + hours per night is ideal)
Now let’s talk about some of the things you can do/use to reduce inflammation
- Vegetables and Fruit (any veggies and focus on berries and other low sugar fruits)
- Wild caught cold water fish
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Dark Chocolate (yummy – 72% or higher cacao)
- More sleep (get 7-8 hours of GOOD un-interrupted sleep)
- Whole body exercise and stretching (resistance training and cardio)
- Micronutrients (such as Vitamin D and CoQ10)
Chronic low grade inflammation can be labeled the “Silent Killer”. Don’t let it take over your body and cause it to break down and degenerate prematurely. Inflammation can be reversed and your body can achieve a higher state of health. “If you don’t take care of your health, nobody else will either” Choose one of two things from the lists above to change at a time and watch how well your body will respond. Enjoy Life, Be Healthy!